Inner sphere

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reflection on oral presentation

Prior to the actual presentation, I believed that I was sufficiently prepared given that I had rehearsed with my own script for many times. However, during the actual presentation, I was rather nervous as this is my first formal presentation in my course of study in NUS. Additionally, with the unexpectedly tensed atmosphere, video recording and with the audience looking intently at my group mates and I, this gave me jitters. As such, there were some pauses in the delivery of my presentation. This is in contrast to the previous presentation for peer teaching which is more informal.

In spite of this, it is worthy to note that I was not reliant on my script as I had done adequate preparation and hence, more familiar with the content.

As a team, I believe we had exhibit good rapport as we tried to back up each other during the question and answer session. In addition, all our team members were capable of answering the questions posed confidently which goes to show our familiarity with the content.

However, in view of the limited presentation time and the amount of content we would like to present, we were unable to include visual aids like video which is effective in attracting the audience’s attention.

Through this presentation, I have learnt the importance of maintaining a calm composure in spite of unexpected elements that arise during presentation and the importance of good teamwork to ensure an effective and smooth presentation. Additionally, I have also picked up good presentation skills from my peers. Overall, I must say that this is a good learning experience for me.

5 Comments:

  • Hi Xin Wei

    Overall I think you did a great job in the presentation. The slides were clear and I enjoyed the presentation throughout the process.

    But at some point,you were a bit nervous and stumbled at a few points. In addition,I felt that your facial expression was a bit strict and your tone lack some emphasis. But I understand that all these is due to nervousness.

    Overall, there was sufficient eye contact with the audience and you exhibited confidence while speaking. During the Q&A session, the excellent rapport that you and your team members exhibit is truly remarkable.

    Eileen

    By Blogger Eileen, At November 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

  • Hi Xin Wei,

    You have a pleasant voice and I enjoy listening to your presentation! Although I sensed that you were indeed rather nervous, you managed to cover it up with your good content knowledge and eye contact with the audience. You also have a good articulation of words, and it would be nice if you could build on it by varying your intonation.

    As for your presentation slides, I think they were very creative and consistent. The main points were also presented in a "short and sweet" manner, which were clear for the audience to read and understand. Overall, it was a good presentation!

    Cheers,
    Chai Yee

    By Blogger Chai Yee, At November 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

  • Dear Xin Wei

    You are actually a very strong speaker. Compared to the Peer Teaching presentation, you did a good job for the OP. Not only were you clear, but even when you fumbled upon one of your points, I remember how you smiled and actually pulled yourself together to complete your point, without the script! Excellent!

    Just a few things your group may have considered. I remember highlighting into the Wiki if this proposition is applicable to all SS modules and you did clarify to me that it was only to the FASS SS modules. But you do realize your team failed to make that distinction during the presentation. I believe Jessica brought that up during the Q&A, and you had to clarify that with her. It was good that you had the chance to make that qualification because it is a crucial point to the panel, in particular.

    And personally (feel free to disagree with me), but there were too many quotes used in the presentation. It is not wrong to use them, but it is good to use them sparingly for a formal presentation. I feel its always better to have evidence to support your stand, because quotes becomes too generic and does not adequately reinforce the significance of your point entirely.

    But having said that, you did a really good job. Good luck with your exams and future endeavours!

    Best,
    Prashant

    By Blogger Unknown, At November 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM  

  • Dear Xinwei:

    Like Prashant, I thought you did much better compared to the last time round. You looked more confident and prepared. Yes, there were pauses in the delivery of your speech but ultimately I thought you did well in bringing across the message of your presentation effectively to the audience. In addtion, I liked the fact that you smiled consistently throughout the presentation and maintained eye contact with the audience.

    I was particularly impressed by the rapport and coordination between your team members especially during the Q&A session which really helped to boost the effectiveness of the presentation. I guess that's how the phrase "Unity is strength" came about. Cheers to that:)In addtion, I could see that there was strong familiarity with the content as a whole for the team and not just the part one presented which I thought was really good.

    With regards to the presentation slides,I thought they were professionally done.

    By Blogger Jessica, At November 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

  • Hi all,

    Thank you for your feedbacks. They will certainly serve me well and help me improve on my performace for future presentations.

    Having looked through the video for the oral presentation, I have to admit that I did appear nervous and my tone lacked variation. I am glad that Chai Yee and Eileen have brought this to my attention.

    Prashant, I believe you have a point there. Perhaps we should have used quotes in moderation for a formal presentation like this. As you have mentioned, quotes are rather generic in nature.

    Thank you Jessica and Prashant for your compliments. It is certainly heartening to hear that I have improved from the previous presentation on peer teaching. I had taught my performance was worst off given that I was even more nervous this time round.

    Jessica, I hope that our group has given sufficient explanation to your questions.

    Hopefully, all of you had enjoyed my team's presentation.

    Regards,
    Xin Wei

    By Blogger Xin Wei, At November 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home